Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Student Teaching Update



After over two months straight, I finally get a week off for spring break! It's been tough to keep up on blogging and social media, so I thought I'd post an update!

This semester I have been student teaching in a local 2nd grade classroom. I have absolutely LOVED it. I feel so comfortable teaching, using classroom management techniques, and creating fun activities. I have grown so much as a teacher, as a woman, and as a Christian.

I have been so busy, between student teaching 8-4, working 4-6, and lesson planning and/or babysitting at night. My friends complain they never see me anymore. Student teaching has sucked my social calendar dry, which stinks because I'm trying to lead a Bible study and help friends plan for upcoming weddings. I definitely don't have enough hours in my day. It doesn't feel like I'm in college anymore. It feels like I have a real job (only..I don't get paid).

I have had so much fun teaching the students about motion (rolling, spinning, etc.), Native Americans, chapter books, measurement, and soon starting a unit on opinion writing. I love teaching them how to learn.

During this spring break, I am nannying a ten year old boy, so I am spending a lot of time in the woods, playing games, and watching cartoons. While he's currently playing games on his iPAD, I'm in the middle of writing lesson plans for next week, and stressing out over which school districts are hiring. I never really get a break, do I?

I know that I am doing what I am called to do. Even on the weekends, I find myself thinking about the kids, and praying for them. I love them so much, individually and as a class. It's a difficult class, but I am learning so much, and I am grateful for each one of them. My co-op has been absolutely amazing and inspiring. I love learning under her.

Only one month of student teaching left. As soon as we get back from break, I'll be teaching whole-day. I'm so excited! It's only going to get harder, but I know that I'm only going to grow more.

4 comments:

  1. Hey! I'm an elementary ed student too and I have been freaking out about when i'll have to do my own student teaching semester and I would love to talk to you a bit more about how you manage all the crazy! You can reach me at shedancesbrave@yahoo.com

    xo
    alyssa nicole

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy to hear you are excited about teaching. It is a calling and a fulfilling career choice. Enjoy every stretching, growing, learning moment of the journey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, have felt that I've been called by God to teach. It is so much fun and so rewarding, but I definitely didn't have any time my intern year (which was super hard because I had JUST gotten married!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you're enjoying student teaching, Jess! Even with all the craziness :) I bet you are so amazing at what you're doing. I hope the last few weeks go well and that you find a job you love even more than this experience.... the pay will be nice bonus, too ;)
    Love ya, lady!

    ReplyDelete