Thursday, April 16, 2015

Go Ahead and Like It: Learning to Love the Little Things You Like



Through Blogging for Books, I was given a free copy of Go Ahead and Like It by Jacqueline Suskin in exchange for an honest review.

This book is full of people's lists of things they like. Parlor games, midday naps, ice water, recounting dreams the next day over breakfast. At first, I was turned off. Why would I want to read a book full of other people's lists?

But then I fell in love. One of the lists had "eating fresh basil leaves picked right off the plant." I could have laughed out loud - my roommate and I had just been talking about how much we loved eating basil leaves. I felt a connection to whoever had written this list.

The more lists, the more memories. One person had "living room dance parties" and I remembered the time, after a friend's engagement party, where we had over a dozen of us dancing like crazy in my apartment living room (until the downstairs apartment complained - oops). What a fun memory, that I wouldn't have thought of, but this book reminded me.

I also love all of the pictures in this book. Candid polaroids, landscapes. Everything is so beautiful and the lists fit in perfectly.

At the end, there's a page to write your own "list of likes".

1.) Gaps in teeth
2.) Backrubs
3.) When my hair still looks good from the day before
4.) Looking at the stars
5.) Reading outloud to the driver on roadtrips
6.) Breakfast dates

And there's so many more.

It's funny to think of all the little tiny memories that have turned random objects into some of our favorite things.

This book is so inspirational, and I give it 5 stars in every category. Pictures, cover, writing style, everything.

1 comment:

  1. I love your list of likes! You're so sweet and genuine Jessica and those are some things I like about you! :)

    ReplyDelete