Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Clean Slate: Jumping on Board of this Clean Eating Trend



Through Blogging for Books, I was given a free copy of Clean Slate by the editors of Martha Stewart Living in exchange for an honest review.

As a vegan, gluten-free eater, I was instantly drawn to this book. While I do eat relatively healthy, I also like to binge on potato chips and gf pretzels and granola bars and other processed foods. I'm definitely no where near eating "clean."

I've been dabbling in the idea of eating cleaner, but I always end up hungry and reaching for a bag of chips. This guide is exactly what I needed to learn more about what and what not to do, or what and what not to eat.

Just flipping through this book makes me want to eat clean. Nearly every page has a mouth-watering, bright, beautiful pictures of fruits, veggies and grains. The recipes are neat, easy-to-read, and there's even a color coded system so that you know what is vegan, gluten free, dairy free, etc.

One thing I love about this book is that it starts off with a guide. I fell in love with guides when I got my other favorite cookbook, Skinny Bitch by Kim Barnouin, for Christmas last year, and I was SO excited to see that this one had one too.

It's loaded with information on different fruits, veggies, meats, and grains. There are pages labeled "Protein" or "Antioxidants" with lists of different foods that will meet your needs. You name it, this guide will tell you what to eat to get what benefit. I loved all of the information!

Did this book inspire me to start eating clean? Take a look inside my fridge! As soon as I read through the guide and flipped through the cookbook, I raced off to the farmer's market. I am now loaded with kale, arugula, spinach, bananas, apples, grapes, carrots, onions, tofu, oranges, strawberries, nuts, and even salmon! (This little vegan is taking a cheat day on a fish she's never cooked..hmm..let's see how this turns out!)

And here's the deal breaker for me..these recipes are EASY. There are no funky ingredients. I've looked at several (trying to figure out how to cook this salmon) and all of the ingredients are already in my pantry/fridge. I hate finding a great-looking recipe, but having to spend twenty dollars just on it's ingredients. These recipes are so practical but so diverse and loaded with flavor! I really can't wait to try them out!

While at my school's cafe this morning, trying to read the guide, I was stopped by several friends (only one of them being vegetarian) to flip through my book and talk to me about it. Looks like some other people are becoming interested, too! ;)

I 100% recommend this book! 

I also recommend shopping at farmer's market. My local one, Produce Junction, supplied me with a two-weeks supply of all the produce I mentioned, for sixteen dollars! Can't beat that!

3 comments:

  1. This book sounds so great! I was just reading another girls blog who said that you can be a really good vegan and get your fruits and vegetables or a in progress vegan, Eating clean is totally its own category and one that we should all strive towards. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm gluten-free and mostly dairy-free (I still eat butter) and I have found that by eliminating those two groups we generally eat better. I think it can get a little crazy at times and somedays a granola bar is my only option but when I'm home I try to load up on the kale!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!! I'm doing the GAPS diet right now to help my autoimmune disease. I think it is considered clean eating.
    I wish we had a farmers market open right now, ours only runs from May-Nov. :-(

    ReplyDelete